Did anyone read this story? "AirBnB Host fined after racist comment" - BBC.

"AirBnB Host fined after racist comment" - BBC.

Did you guys read about the AirBnB host who received a $5,000 fine after she sent abusive messages via the app to Dyne Suh?

The messages included the following:

"One word says it all. Asians."

"I will not allow this country to be told what to do by foreigners."

"This is why we have Trump."

After reading this story, like others, I connected with this piece interpersonally. Although Ms. Suh had lived in the U.S almost all her life, she was still judged simply by her skin and by the simple label of her name "Suh".

"Can you speak Chinese?" "Where are you from? Like really really from?" "Ni How Ma".
My valid identification forms, birth certificate to passport to driving license state "British" yet those around me define me and have reduced me down to the yellow skin, they see, wrapped around me. To them, I am not British, even if I dress, speak and was born and bred in the culture. As Fanon (1986) states "I found that I was an object in the midst of other objects." No one wants to listed about one's (dis)position in society. Instead, it is about the identity myth that consumes me. That has mutualised me, bit by bit, by my skin to my eyes and the set of connotations suffocating these parts of me.
I'm so sorry to hear about Ms. Suh, I hope she knows, even though racism remains in the world, she's not alone.


What's your insidethinkingthoughts about this story? 
   
Read the original story on the BBC:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts